Who are we?
We are a 100% pro-choice grassroots volunteer community focused on reproductive healthcare and abortion rights. Our strike group was created in the wake of the unconstitutional Texas abortion ban that came into effect on September 1st, 2021, and is inclusive for all who want to build a more equitable world from the ground up.
What do we stand for?
The Without Us community believes that abortion is essential healthcare and a basic human right, a right which should be affordable and accessible to all persons with a uterus, bereft of the religious, political, or personal beliefs of others. We believe that the real power lies within the people, and that true change occurs in local communities before it takes on a national following.
Why the red lightning bolt?
Our red lightning bolt imagery is based off the one used in Polish protests that followed a near-total ban on abortion. The original image was created by graphic designer Ola Jasionowska in 2016 and became a main symbol of the pro-choice movement in Poland. The meaning behind it was to convey both the power of the people and act as a warning to the government.
How can I get involved?
- Share Safe Abortion Resources
- We have a compiled list of abortion resources on our social media pages. Help to share those and reach as many people in need as possible.
- Donate Pregnancy Tests
- Reach out to women's shelters, LGBTQ shelters, food pantries, and homeless shelters, and ask if they will accept a donation of pregnancy tests to add to their toiletries. You can buy them at most drug stores, dollar stores, and grocery stores.
- Engage on your social media
- Change your icon on all platforms to one of our many red lightning bolt icons.
- Flood the internet with the resources for Safe Abortions, Voting Registration and Education, and Abortion Funds.
- If safe to do so, share your story, your "why", and/or your call to action online using #WithoutUsStrike
- Contact Your Representative
- Let them know what you expect from them and ask them to publicly pledge their support to abortion access and to announce their action plan.
- Fostering community action in defense of every person's right to bodily autonomy and reproductive healthcare.
- Raising donations for abortion funds.
- Increasing voter registration and turnout for the 2022 election and beyond.
- Expand gender-based protections in the workplace, including the rights of LGBT workers against discrimination and health and safety for pregnant workers.
- Develop collaboration between existing volunteer networks.
- Empowering individuals and communities to develop the skills necessary to become community leaders.
Why is community leadership and engagement so vital?
- Community engagement enables better understanding of individual needs and aspirations. Meaningful, inclusive community engagement is critical to everyone's well-being.
- All communities are different. The best people to represent the needs of your community are the people within it.
- Engaged communities are impactful communities. Communities that have better communication, representation, and activity in local and state politics will undoubtedly inspire community action.
- Political engagement has become a game for the well off or well connected, which has removed our voice from the table. By helping everyday people use their voices, we are reintegrating ourselves into the political sphere. By securing voter rights and protections, we are reinstating our communities as the people in power!
I run a business. How can we help?
- Stock the Restrooms with menstrual products and pregnancy tests in all restrooms, regardless of gender designation.
- This provides staff and customers safety and privacy when they need it most.
- This is essential for people in unsafe households, where pregnancy may increase the risk of harm to their person.
- Book Store White-Out! - Book stores and libraries, please consider a white-out day!
Here's two ways to highlight women and queer authors:
- Small business: Turn books by female and queer authors around, hiding their spines against the back of the shelf. This is a great visual representation of the contributions women have made in the literary field.
- Large stores: Display works by female and queer authors in front of the store.
- Day/Time Off to Vote - Give your staff a day off to vote for Federal, State and Local elections!
How can I help right now?
to donate to the .
Your donation will help provide life-saving reproductive care to those in need.
Consider joining our team as a volunteer!
Click the text above to open the sign-up form located on our secure Cryptpad server. Please make sure to complete the form on any PC, Macintosh, or Chromebook computer, as the form may load too slowly on a mobile phone or tablet
. The Safari browser cannot be used as it may close and re-open the form in an infinite loop; consider using Google Chrome
or Mozilla Firefox
to complete the form in that case.